Active Voice is strongly preferred Passive Voice, though in a few exceptions if passive voice is done deliberately it can still work well. (See Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger as an example of deliberate passive voice.)
Active Voice is having Characters interact directly with the story, their surroundings, therefore making characters the subject of the sentence.
Example: Bill carried the couch. Martha slapped the Doctor.
Passive Voice is events happening to characters where they indirectly interact with the story, the surroundings, therefore making them the objects of the sentence, instead of the subject. In essence, the characters find themselves acted upon, instead of acting themselves.
Example: The couch was carried by Bill. The Doctor was slapped by Martha.
Active Voice is generally better because Passive Voice distances the reader from the emotion and actions of the story by making something other than the main characters the center of attention.
Simply put, the difference between active and passive is
A causes B. or B was happened to by A.
Which is more straightforward and easy to understand?
How to fix passive voice:
- Identify the correct subject of a sentence. Who causes the action?
- Reorder the sentence so that the causer creates the action.
- Identify Helper Verbs [is am are was were be being been] and exchange them for more interesting verbs.
Potential Reasons for Deliberate Passive Voice:
- In a first person narrative, the narrator might choose to distance themselves from the action because it is too emotionally painful.
- If this is the case, remember to use this sparingly and extremely deliberately. Otherwise, the reader will grow bored and disinterested.
- osteoderp likes this
- zancakery likes this
- luckless-clover likes this
- seonnadesrai likes this
- backstori reblogged this from thewritingcafe
- unsatisfactori reblogged this from thewritingcafe
- retrorekki reblogged this from arcanewriter
- vanz420 likes this
- yrinthe likes this
- starlantern likes this
- bluelikeatardis likes this
- karendho likes this
- prettylipssealed likes this
- nerdygirlnextdoor likes this
- caiprince13 reblogged this from arcanewriter
- caiprince13 likes this
- sadcatsanddemondogs likes this
- demonsdetectivesandthe-tardis reblogged this from horcruxes-and-sonics
- barbex reblogged this from arcanewriter
- skysugar likes this
- horcruxes-and-sonics reblogged this from arcanewriter
- thekickingk reblogged this from arcanewriter
- maychild likes this
- ealperin reblogged this from casketscratcher
- ealperin likes this
- arcanewriter reblogged this from thewritingcafe
- casketscratcher reblogged this from thewritingcafe and added:
- heldinhishands reblogged this from thewritingcafe
- heldinhishands likes this
- thewritingcafe reblogged this from writersyoga
- addicted2jm likes this
- kaibacopter likes this
- skeletal likes this
- inorganiccoenzyme reblogged this from kaylapocalypse
- inorganiccoenzyme likes this
- ajinxofink likes this
- sakaeru likes this
- thedailydoodles likes this
- kaylapocalypse reblogged this from writersyoga
- twerk-goddess-mikasa reblogged this from writersyoga
- hecklesyeahsweaters reblogged this from fitzsimmonsofshield
- fitzsimmonsofshield reblogged this from ladyofthewhitetree
- all-the-fallen-stars likes this
- ladyofthewhitetree reblogged this from writersyoga
- writersyoga posted this